This classic relay event began in 1922, with just two teams competing for bragging rights only (St. Catharines and Niagara Falls). Over the years, the event grew to include municipal teams from Thorold, Welland, Pelham, Grimsby, Niagara-On-The-Lake, Fort Erie, Port Colborne and more through 1949. Prizes and awards were added for different categories.
1992 was the inaugural year for high school teams to compete with St. Catharines Collegiate defeating Grimsby Secondary school. In 1993, a beautiful trophy was donated to the high school category, making it official.
In 1995, two families competed creating that division. A boys soccer team competed in 1999. In 2002, Fairview Louth Church and Burtnik Karate joined in the open category.
The Man-a-Mile continues to welcome new teams every year as well as established teams that have participated before and who love coming back!
The original Man-a-Mile trophy was featured as one of the 150 "Pieces of Canada" in a special exhibition for Canada's 150th in the Niagara Falls Museum on Ferry Street.
For a look at all the trophies, and many of the recent teams, visit the Photos page here.